Sydney S. McLaffertyWe have successfully represented plaintiffs in civil matters for more than three decades.
It is truly a rewarding experience to go home every night from work knowing I have helped someone through a difficult experience and impacted his or her life in a positive way.
- Bachelor of Arts, The Ohio State University (2000)
- Juris Doctorate, Capital University Law School (2003)
Honors & Achievements:
- Treasurer, Ohio Association for Justice, 2019-2020.
- Secretary, Ohio Association for Justice, 2018-2019.
- Women’s Caucus Chair, Ohio Association for Justice, 2013-2017.
- Board of Trustees, Ohio Association for Justice, 2014-Present.
- Advocates Circle, Ohio Association for Justice, 2010-Present.
- Board of Directors, Central Ohio Association for Justice, 2013-2017.
- Negligence Committee Chair, Central Ohio Association for Justice, 2007-2014.
- Ohio Super Lawyers, 2018, 2019.
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017.
- Capital Associates Planning Committee, 2003-2004.
- Ohio Association for Justice
- American Association for Justice
- Central Ohio Association for Justice
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Sydney comes from a family with many attorneys. Her grandfather, now deceased, started a law firm in Troy, Ohio, which remains in practice today. With a total of three uncles and one aunt all as attorneys, a career in the law was a natural fit. It wasn’t until her first year of law school when she accepted an offer to clerk for the firm, that she recognized the significant impact of representing those that are injured and aggrieved against large corporations and insurance companies. After law school, Sydney joined the firm where she became partner in 2015.
Sydney spends a significant amount of her professional time with her leadership roles at the Ohio Association for Justice which is a state-wide organization dedicated to protecting her client’s constitutional rights and access to the civil justice system. Her involvement with OAJ directly benefits her clients and the clients of other practitioners around the state.
Sydney is married to her husband, Scott and raising their two sons in Upper Arlington, Ohio. Originally from Wyoming, Ohio (a suburb of Cincinnati), Sydney enjoys traveling to Cincinnati to see family and friends.
Sydney is a regular supporter of a variety of community organizations including Children’s Hospital, Mid-Ohio Foodbank, the YWCA Family Center, Franklin County Children’s Services Holiday Wish Program, and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. Sydney has served a volunteer parent mentor for the Cleft, Lip and Palate Center for Nationwide Children’s Hospital and enjoys joining her children at their various service learning opportunities through school.
Hobbies & Interests
Sydney enjoys spending her free time at her sons’ various baseball, soccer and basketball events which can quickly fill the weekend calendar. Sydney also enjoys exercising daily, reading, and listening to true crime and non-fiction podcasts. She also spends a great deal of time doing laundry, grocery shopping and meal planning, which might as well be listed as interests considering how much time she spends on them.