J. Scott Bowman
Partner and Board Certified Trial Lawyer
I dedicate my professional practice to helping individuals and families through difficult times. When someone is hurt because of someone else’s failure to abide by society’s safety rules, the person who did follow the rules should not bear the burden placed upon them.
- B.S., Illinois State University (1993)
- J.D, The Ohio State University College of Law (1998)
Honors & Achievements
- Board Certified Civil Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy (NBTA) since 2008
- Member of Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Ohio “Rising Star” (Super Lawyers) from 2005 – 2007
- Ohio “SuperLawyer” (Super Lawyers) from 2015 – 2019
- Top 50: 2021 Columbus Super Lawyers
- Admitted to all State of Ohio and U.S. District Courts in Ohio
- Served on the Ohio Judicial Conference’s Ohio Jury Instructions Committee and drafted Ohio Jury Instructions
- $1,100,000.00 settlement for client crushed between trailer and tractor as tractor attempted to hook with trailer
- $900,000.00 settlement, personal injury/trucking accident wherein trucking company disputed liability
- $750,000.00 settlement, wrongful death/trucking accident wherein client rear-ended a stopped interstate carrier vehicle
- $550,000.00 settlement, personal Injury/trucking accident wherein trucking company disputed fault
- $139,000.00 verdict, personal injury/motor vehicle collision wherein insurance company/motorist disputed nature and extent of injury
- $100,000.00 verdict, personal injury/motor vehicle collision wherein insurance company/motorist disputed injury
- $79,000.00 verdict, personal injury/motor vehicle collision wherein insurance company/motorist negligence and injuries
- $71,000.00 verdict, personal injury/motor vehicle collision wherein insurance company/motorist disputed negligence and injuries
- Have tried at least forty (40) cases to verdict on behalf of injured clients
- Member, Ohio Association of Justice
- Member, American Association of Justice
- Member, Columbus Bar Association
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates (OBOTA)
In his spare time Scott enjoys serving his community by working within several legal organizations and other activities. Regarding those activities, Scott has completed the annual Berkshire Marathon — started by a friend and colleague of his — which collects money to donate to Nationwide Children’s Hospital. Scott has also coached Upper Arlington youth basketball and baseball teams and currently serves as the coach for the local GOYA (Greek Orthodox Youth Association).
Regarding legal organizations and activities, Scott has served as a judge for several mock trial competitions including Capital Law School’s Trial Advocacy Course and the Ohio Center for Law-Related Education competitions. He also speaks annually to students attending Capital Law School’s Trial Practice course. Scott also served on the Columbus Bar Association’s Common Pleas Court and Arbitration Committees. In addition, he served on the Ohio Judicial Conference’s Ohio Jury Instructions Committee with state judges, law school professors, and attorneys in drafting and amending Ohio’s Jury Instructions regarding negligence law.
In his spare time, Scott enjoys (attempting to play) basketball and working out at a local gym. He also enjoys music, reading, and socializing with family and friends. Most importantly, he enjoys spending time with his wife Angie, daughter Athamandia, and son Angelo, including a bi-annual trip to Greece to visit family.